Friday, February 9, 2007

Escaping Cuba


Since my father never protested nor got involved with politics, Castro never consider him a threat, and doctors were disappearing faster than Fidel could import them from China, Russia and Czechoslovakia, so he offered my father a cushy job and would allow my father to stay on his properties with security and prestige. But my father refused to meet with Castro's government officials and had made plans to leave Nuevitas by having a friend with a boat take him across Cayo Romano in the dead of night at the risk of meeting the same fate as his friends should he have been caught .
That's my father on the bow and the young boy next to him, is yours truly, Raul, better known as "cyberray". Lucky for us a Visa for a vacation to Spain was approved and the plans to leave Cuba clandestinely were aborted.

No comments: